Saturday, February 28, 2015

My Coastal Home


It's been almost a year since Armando and I got married (11 months and 1 day to be exact!)Over the first couple of months of us moving into our new little cozy home, I have collected and re-organized our place.  I just love the feeling of an airy, relaxing, and happy feeling home. My style has been centered on  decorating around the concept of simplicity and nature. Ever since I can remember, I loved watching home decor shows and watching all the before and afters in "Trading Spaces." When they would go around and show the place some of these people lived in  and how cluttered it was  just made me cringe inside. If there is one thing I cannot stand is clutter, not necessarily messiness but just clutter. Your home doesn't be need to be filled with expensive furnishings or anything of that sort. You can make a beautiful space to enjoy with a very little budget. 

Recently, I have been looking through the whole minimalistic mindset that introduces concepts of feng shui.  For those of you who are not familiar with feng shui, it is a practice that was developed in China over a 3,000 year period that is based on the idea that our homes are a mirror of what's happening inside us. The purpose of feng shui is to get your enviornment in alignment with who you are and where you want to go. Basically, the way that I see it is that the more cluttered your home is, the worse you are going to feel when you get home. Your house should feel welcoming, airy, and peaceful and should only have things which are useful and beautiful to you. If you are holding on to old objects and materials that you no longer use and are better off throwing or giving away , you are in a sense, giving the message to yourself that you are not ready to bring in the new things to your life because you are too busy holding on to things that are no longer useful.  I am  no feng shui expert nor do I practice it ,  but I do love to read about these concepts and absorb the positive things which I can take away from these practices. Here is a list of important minimalistic mini lessons: 

1) If you haven't used it in the past year, THROW IT OR GIVE ITAWAY.
2) Use nature as a source of inspiration for your decoration.  
3) Use "power" positioning to adjust the setting of your room. For example, if you have a couch or desk recenter it so that it faces the door. These are concepts used in many business psychology that are used to set up an environment that aims for success. 
4) For a peaceful home, use warm tones and ocean colors. 





|Here is some inspiration from my home to yours|




| Lamp from Home depot (repainted it gold) |



| Natural Driftwood from Home Goods |


| Scented packets from Kirkland's |






| Decor pieces: Thrift finds|




No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger